High CPU temperature while gaming Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52)

Options
ajax97
ajax97 Member Posts: 63 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My Predator Helios 300 (PH315-52 i5 9300H variant) gets very hot (90-94C CPU and 84C GPU) during gaming. Idle temperatures are normal around 38-46C. I am very cautious about my PC and don't want to damage it due to high temperature as it is the new replacement unit I got from Acer after they wrecked my previous laptop. But CPU temps are still quite high during gaming, even being the new unit.
Is it normal or I am in trouble ?
Current configuation
RAM : 16GB (SINGLE CHANNEL)
NVIDIA DRIVER : 456.71

Best Answer

• invador0007
    invador0007 Member Posts: 134 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ajax97 said:
    @invador0007 my HWmonitor shows -0.128V IA offset. I thought about getting a repaste but I am a bit skeptical about the acer service person in my area. One thing that I wanna ask is that the Idle temperatures on my unit are normal and they remain normal during some graphic tasks as robotics simulations but when it comes to game they start getting 90+. Is there anything I can tune related to power settings in windows?  one more thing is that how can I check PL2 for the cpu without using Intel XTU?
    If your laptop under warranty and you are not comfortable doing repaste on your own then don't it'll have other issues down the road if not done right, taking it to the service center is probably right for you but if you are comfortable doing a repaste then I know what you are skeptical about the service center and you are right probably they rarely do a good job, your laptop will be in a worse condition than before taking it to the service center for a repaste.
    For the temperature issues spikes in 90's is okay but you average temperature should not exceed 85 most of the time that will damage your laptop in long run.
    1-> first try raising the laptop back to an inch for better air flow even a book can work.
    2-> second thing you can try is cleaning laptop fans as the dust accumulates and reduce the efficiency of cooling significantly to an extent your laptop will start having BSOD's.(if can, buy a compressed air can to remove dust it'll save time and you probably don't have to remove the fans for cleaning but for the best result removing fan then cleaning fins will be best)
    3-> even if above two steps don't work then doing a repaste will your last option maybe. There is no rocket science in doing a repaste you just have to follow the instructions well and have some common sense(don't get offended).Buy a decent thermal paste like arctic mx4 or thermal grizzly one's, follow a youtube video on repaste and you are good to go.
    For the PL2, download throttlestop it wont do any harm to your system unless you are overclocking or fiddling setting that you don't understand.

on the main TS window click TPL marked with orange then another window opens that is on the right, Turbo boost short power max is you PL2 marked with red. It could be set to 80 or 90 depending on the updates and drivers installed on your system but I would suggest it to 56 and don't change Turbo boost long power max more than the specified TDP from manufacturer site. In my case it is 45W so I set it to 45.

For this you can search your CPU model specification on manufacturer site.

Answers

• invador0007
    Options
    Spikes above 90C is okay till your average temperature is around 85C but not recommended in long term usage above 90C all the time.
    Things you can try: 
    1-> Try cleaning the fan, dust clogged in fins can heavily increase temperature and using a laptop stand even a book to raise the back of laptop to 1 inch can do the trick.
    2-> Even after cleaning you are getting high temperatures, check your undervolt is it -128mv or resettled to 0mv with HWmonitor if so try undervolting it again with ThrottleStop (it's safe).

3-> If it still in 90-95C all the time, try changing the thermal compound with some recommended TIMs like Arctic MX4 that'll resolve the issue (refer to YouTube there are lot of video on thermal compound application) but keep in mind after changing the thermal compound over/under tightening, uneven pressure on the heatsink will also increase the temperature, make sure to tight the screws correctly.

I hope this will resolve the high temperature issue.
  • ajax97
    ajax97 Member Posts: 63 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    @invador0007 my HWmonitor shows -0.128V IA offset. I thought about getting a repaste but I am a bit skeptical about the acer service person in my area. One thing that I wanna ask is that the Idle temperatures on my unit are normal and they remain normal during some graphic tasks as robotics simulations but when it comes to game they start getting 90+. Is there anything I can tune related to power settings in windows?  one more thing is that how can I check PL2 for the cpu without using Intel XTU?
  • invador0007
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ajax97 said:
    If your laptop under warranty and you are not comfortable doing repaste on your own then don't it'll have other issues down the road if not done right, taking it to the service center is probably right for you but if you are comfortable doing a repaste then I know what you are skeptical about the service center and you are right probably they rarely do a good job, your laptop will be in a worse condition than before taking it to the service center for a repaste.
    For the temperature issues spikes in 90's is okay but you average temperature should not exceed 85 most of the time that will damage your laptop in long run.
    1-> first try raising the laptop back to an inch for better air flow even a book can work.
    2-> second thing you can try is cleaning laptop fans as the dust accumulates and reduce the efficiency of cooling significantly to an extent your laptop will start having BSOD's.(if can, buy a compressed air can to remove dust it'll save time and you probably don't have to remove the fans for cleaning but for the best result removing fan then cleaning fins will be best)
    3-> even if above two steps don't work then doing a repaste will your last option maybe. There is no rocket science in doing a repaste you just have to follow the instructions well and have some common sense(don't get offended).Buy a decent thermal paste like arctic mx4 or thermal grizzly one's, follow a youtube video on repaste and you are good to go.
    For the PL2, download throttlestop it wont do any harm to your system unless you are overclocking or fiddling setting that you don't understand.

on the main TS window click TPL marked with orange then another window opens that is on the right, Turbo boost short power max is you PL2 marked with red. It could be set to 80 or 90 depending on the updates and drivers installed on your system but I would suggest it to 56 and don't change Turbo boost long power max more than the specified TDP from manufacturer site. In my case it is 45W so I set it to 45.

For this you can search your CPU model specification on manufacturer site.